Special days happen. Then there are some REALLY special days that happen!
Last Saturday was a ‘really special day’ for me. So you ask, ‘what made last Saturday so special for you?’
Simply said, the words below, were sent to me confirming that a my first children’s illustrated storybook was now a reality–not only as a published paper back book, but now, as a Kindle book also.
“Congratulations, your book “Sammy’s New Friends” is live in the Kindle Store and is available* for readers to purchase here. https://www.amazon.com/author/lindakbridges
This day is a mile stone for me.
Just over a year ago I started on a new journey–one of becoming a writer. On January 13, 2014, in a plane flying 35,000 feet above the Atlantic Ocean, heading home from Northern Ireland, I decided to write a book. A children’s book.
And I wanted to illustrate that story myself. I started with a story that I had only told orally to my grandchildren. That day, too was a mile stone. I decided to try. And try I did–really hard! Reading those words from Amazon Direct was an amazing realization of a dream come true for me.
I consider myself a late-bloomer in the field of writing and illustrating children’s storybooks, but nevertheless, I believe that it’s never too late to start working on your dreams.
Deciding to become a writer was a giant step for me. At age 63, it meant stepping aside from things I was accustomed to doing for many years, and devoting myself exclusively to the art of writing and illustrating. I had sensed, ‘This is the season of my life to write and create in a new way–putting into action the little stories, poems, and articles I have stored away in my journals and computer files. Doing this, I will leave behind something tangible for my children and grandchildren when I am no longer in this world.’
I don’t want to over dramatize it, but I wanted to make this journey an adventure. And it has been! The LORD and others have helped me along this path, and for that I am deeply grateful.
I have wanted to write a book since I was in high-school. That was my dream. Many times throughout my life, I remembered those aspirations. This year they came true!
“Sammy’s New Friends” is my first illustrated children’s storybook for ages 3-5 year old. It was published in February, 2015 through Create Space, a division of Amazon. In January, I started book number two. I have also a storyboard and simple sketches for a third book as well.
My action word for 2014 was ‘Learn.’ My action words for 2015 is ‘Keep Learning!’
Looking back at 2014, I hurdled some new and daunting tasks in this world of writing and promoting one’s piece of art. Last year was a year of ‘learning’ and ‘doing’ for me. Here are some things I learned.
- The importance of promoting my work: Katie Davis’ outstanding eBook, “How to Promote Your Children’s Book” was my marketing guidebook. A worthy read.
- Social Media: I have become faithful to reading, enjoying and posting regularly on Social Media. This was illusive and scary to me before, but now I love it! I have reconnected with friends and made many new ones. And I’m learning from other aspiring writers.
- I started a blog (www.writing4funblog.com).
- I launched an author’s website where people can read more about my writing experiences and new works. (www.lindakbridges.com)
- I registered a YouTube Chanel for posting my book trailer, introducing Sammy’s New Friends, and a welcome video. Search You Tube: Linda K. Bridges or go here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1erLMBKcAI4mSQN_Zs6cMg
- I created a Twitter account: The most scary of all! I’m about as illiterate as one can get regarding Twitter–but I am committed to trying it for 1 year. You can now view my posts there: https://twitter.com/@lindakbridges. They pertain mostly to the art and craft of writing or illustrating. If you see me there–PLEASE say something to me and I’ll try hard to reply. (I’m chuckling.)
Today is a day for me to stop and marvel. In our journey through life we often accomplish amazing things but fail to pause and marvel. I remember: it’s never too late to start working on your dreams. Don’t let the path ahead scare you. The journey is worth it! And make your action word, “LEARN.”
Write a review
If and when you purchase your copy of the eBook or standard paperback, please take a moment to write a brief review of the book. Your review will help even more people find it on Amazon and increase it’s rank within the Amazon book store. Thank you!
Free Coloring Pages!
As a FREE BONUS, for those who purchase this book, either in paper back or Kindle, I have prepared some Coloring Pages for your child. Kids LOVE coloring scenes from their favorite stories. Go to my author’s website: http://www.lindakbridges.com
Then click on the ‘Free Printables‘ tab to access a PDF. These are black and while line drawings and set for standard 8 1/2″ by 11″ U.S. paper size. (Note: If you live in regions where A4 paper is used, be sure to set the adjustment on your printer options.)
Print and enjoy!
An EXTRA BONUS: If you bought my book in paperback form, you now qualify for a special price of only $1.99 for the eBook. Get it today–and see how fun and colorful it is to read on your iPad Kindle, iPhone, iPod Touch or Kindle Fire, or Notebook. You can enjoy the high resolution illustrations using all the Kindle features.
Thank you for stopping by my blog today. I hope you will come again. If you liked this post, please leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers.
Linda (Alias: Grandma Linda)